Serves 6-8 (makes about 2 quarts of soup)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 medium onion, diced
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2″ knob of fresh ginger, peeled & chopped
2″ piece of fresh turmeric, peeled & chopped
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, chopped
1 quart chicken or veg broth
1/2 cup coconut milk
Salt to taste
1. Heat coconut oil in a medium sized stock pot. Add onion and saute, on medium high heat, until translucent.
2. Add garlic, ginger and turmeric. Saute for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
3. Add butternut squash and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the squash is falling apart.
4. Remove soup from heat and let cool. Transfer soup to blender and puree until smooth (or use an immersion blender to puree the soup in the pot).
5. Stir in the coconut milk and season to taste with salt.
6. Serve with a squeeze of fresh lime juice, fresh cilantro and pumpkin seeds. And an extra drizzle of coconut milk for more creaminess if desired.